I made a mistake. Not my first one of course. I bought some frozen fish from Aldi’s, taking it for granted that they cared where my food came from and how it is grown, raised and what is in it. Grown in China. They feed shit to the fish we eat! In some cases, human shit!
- China’s fish farms, are fed pig, goose and chicken manure; even though it contains salmonella
- Vietnam, farmed shrimp bound for the U.S. market are kept fresh with heaps of ice made from tap water that are high pathogenic bacteria
- Like U.S. meat farmers, Asia’s shrimp farmers rely heavily on antibiotics, many of which are banned for use in the United States
- In May, ABC News bought 30 samples of imported farmed shrimp from across the country and had them tested for antibiotic traces. The result: Three of the samples contained detectable levels of these dangerous antibiotics
- 90% of the consumer shrimp come from China, Vietnam, Thailand, Bangladesh, India & Indonesia
- Crowded conditions in contaminated conditions leading to the use of antibiotics where some are illegal in the U.S.
- Significant Levels of Nitrofurazone (and others), (banned in the U.S. 40 years ago and know cancer causer) found in 10% of the shrimp, and stored for longer periods in the muscle portion we eat
Does the above sound familiar? Sure, exactly like a CAFO, well exactly like a CAFO! A CAFO is a “Confined Animal Farming Operation”. I will call this one a CAFO also. It is a “Confined Aquatic Farming Operation”, where the same principles and related issues apply because of an growing population and greed of the producer. A significant contributor is the economic income we need to have to buy what we need to survive, all the while paying a living wage to those that produce. A real conundrum.
More recently Whole Foods has been caught in their China infused relationship. Whole Foods, the self-proclaimed world’s largest retailer of natural and organic foods, is outsourcing production for many of its products from China, of all places. This is how the patient Chinese government will defeat the United States, if we do not defeat ourselves by doing the same thing on our own soil.
Please understand, all of us do not know things. It will be, and currently is our responsibility to be humble enough to know that we made a decision based on information we had at the time and did not have, and made a mistake. And, if the information has the whelming effect on us, to change our stance, opinion and our defense about we now know.
I can’t afford to throw out food I just bought. I cannot afford to eat food that ate food that other animals excrete. Regardless of where it comes from.